Spending your nights tossing and turning, throwing off the covers only to pull them back on and then repeat the whole process? This is a common scenario for people who sleep hot but it doesn’t have to be because a cooling mattress topper can bring relief – and a good night’s sleep.
You already know that a mattress topper can be a game-changer when it comes to getting a good night’s sleep, especially on a too-firm or older mattress. It’s possible to get the same benefits with the added cooling feature that many mattress toppers offer. The inability for hot sleepers to get a good night’s rest is biologically based. In fact, science has proven the link between your body temperature and sleeping. The National Sleep Foundation says that the optimum room temperature for sleep is about 65 degrees. Also, the lower your body temperature the easier you can fall asleep and stay asleep. This is why virtually everyone has a hard time sleeping on hot nights without air conditioning!
Try One of These Best Cooling Mattress Toppers if You’re Tired of Sleeping Hot
Adding a cooling mattress topper is just one way for a hot sleeper to get relief and a good night’s sleep. There are all kinds of tips for creating the proper, cool environment that makes sleeping easier.
What is a mattress topper?
Mattress toppers are more than glorified mattress pads. They come in a variety of thicknesses ranging from 4 to 8 inches. While they do help protect mattresses their main purpose is to increase comfort and support for the body.
Memory foam toppers are super popular because they evenly distribute body weight, keeping you comfortable while supporting your body properly. Many people who have back and joint pain love these toppers because they can ease these conditions. Some types of memory foam toppers also have a cooling mechanism – which can be a godsend for people who sleep hot. It doesn’t matter why you are hot when you sleep – a medical condition, hormonal shifts due to menopause, a hot room or climate– cooling mattress toppers can help regulate airflow and draw heat away from the body, helping you sleep more comfortably.
Mattress toppers made from natural and other materials can be a good choice for hot sleepers because they offer more breathability and help keep heat from building up around the body. These include toppers made from wool, cotton, bamboo, and polyester fiberfill, which are all great for side sleepers in particular because they are a little softer.
Other popular mattress toppers for hot sleepers include those made from gel-infused memory foam that helps with breathability and draws heat away from the body. Memory foam mattress toppers that do not have gel are generally not the best choice for hot sleepers and may make them feel even warmer.
What is Gel-Infused Memory Foam?
Memory foam is a chemically treated polyurethane foam called ‘viscoelastic that is more elastic than regular foam. Because many customers who sleep hot were finding the foam too warm, about a decade ago the gel-infused type was introduced. These toppers are injected with a gel or gel beads.
According to Bed Times Magazine, these toppers are made from memory foam that is infused with gel beads, swirled gels or layers of poured gels. Because gel has a higher density than foam, it doesn’t heat up as quickly. Many of today’s gels are made with beads that incorporate microencapsulated “phase-change materials,” which are “organic and inorganic compounds that store and release heat as they melt and solidify at certain temperatures. It is decades-old technology based on centuries-old thermodynamics research into the nature of ‘latent heat.’”
While these toppers do have cooling properties, it’s not like sleeping on an ice pack and they will not make you cold during the night. They’re made to pull heat away from the body and redistribute it, not generate cold. Most toppers are passive, but it is possible to find electric mattress pads with cooling fans that are rather costly and that must be plugged in to run.
Pros and Cons of Cooling Mattress Toppers
As with any product, there are pluses and minuses. First, it’s important to decide which kind of topper is right for you based on your individual needs and sleeping preferences. If you’re a fan of all-natural materials, then that narrows down the decision right away. Buyers like different products for different reasons, but here are some overall pros and cons of cooling mattress toppers.
- Drifting off made cooler: Cooling mattress toppers are really effective when you first get into bed and need to fall asleep. The inherent airflow and cooling gel help keep the environment at the right temperature for going to sleep.
- Better overall sleep – Aside from the cooling properties, the other features of a cooling mattress topper can help keep you in a restful state. From a softer surface to more support, a new topper can be sleep-changing.
- Budget-Conscious: If it’s your mattress keeping you hot at night, adding a cooling topper is far more affordable than buying a new mattress.
- Less AC usage: For some people, adding a cooling mattress topper to the bed often leads to running the air conditioner less overnight, which saves on energy.
- It’s another layer: Some people have issues with the added layer on the bed. Some types also have a tendency to shift.
- Not so cool: The degree of cooling ability for some of these products is hotly debated, according to Bed Times Magazine. Some buyers are disappointed by the amount of heat they actually draw from around the sleeping body.
- Chemicals in the gel foam – Virtually all the gel memory foam mattress toppers have an initial odor that dissipates over the first day or two. People who are sensitive to chemicals or prefer not to introduce many chemicals into their home environment will want to consider only the natural options.
Once you’ve decided that a cooling mattress topper is your ticket to a better night’s sleep you have to decide what kind to get. Here are the best cooling mattress toppers that
This pillow-like mattress topper by ExceptionalSheets boasts more than 4,500 four- and five-star reviews on Amazon. It might look more like a mattress pad but it is made from a rayon fiber derived from bamboo, which gives it great breathability. The topper is filled with RevoLoft Cluster Fiber, which is a hypoallergenic down alternative, and its backing is a combination of 30% cotton and 70% polyester.
This topper stays in place because it has an attached skirt of 76% polyester/16% nylon/8% spandex that fits around your mattress to keep it from shifting. Even within the topper, the fill won’t move around because the 160-thread count cover has a double-needle baffle box stitch that keeps everything in place. It is also a great addition to all kinds of mattresses, in addition to memory foam toppers that feel too warm. It is laboratory tested and certified safe according to Consumer Product Safety Commission 16 CFR Part 1632 without the use of flame retardant chemicals.
- Happy buyers praise the quality of this topper and report that they do indeed sleep better and don’t wake up during the night due to overheating.
- Some reviewers had trouble with quality when it came time to clean this mattress pad, which they said did not hold up even through the first washing.
For those who want to supreme comfort of memory foam but sleep too hot for the traditional type of foam, this ViscoSoft two-inch gel memory foam topper is a good choice for cooler sleep. The topper was engineered in a way that enhances airflow and cuts down on the body heat that gets trapped, making you hot while you sleep.
ViscoSoft’s gel memory foam topper is low-VOC, CertiPUR and made in America, which means that it does not contain any toxic flame retardants, mercury, heavy metals, formaldehyde or other substances regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. The topper comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee if you’re not happy with the products.
- Many people found good relief from sleeping hot with this gel memory foam mattress topper and reported reduced problems with night sweats.
- Buyers who were not happy with this topper were disappointed in the level of cooling ability of gel memory foam.
As an Amazon among mattress toppers, the LINENSPA 3-inch gel-infused memory foam mattress topper has more than 6,000 reviews, with 81 percent of those being four and five stars. The topper has three-inches of plush gel-infused memory foam that can make sleeping a much less heated experience. This topper can be added to new or older mattresses, adding an instant layer of cooling comfort with the gel bead-infused foam. It is CertiPUR US certified for quality and is also available in a 2-inch thickness for those who don’t desire as much foam, such as stomach sleepers.
Memory foam that is infused with gel helps regulate temperature by drawing away heat and redistributing it. The contouring foam does everything that regular memory foam does — aligning the spine and relieving pressure points — plus helps hot sleepers rest more comfortably.
- Amazon reviewers clearly love the more comfortable sleep they get without overheating.
- Some buyers did not find this topper to have much of a cooling effect and still had issues with being too hot while sleeping.
SleepBetter’s Iso-Cool Memory Foam Mattress Topper combines the cooling properties of gel memory foam with a quilted cotton cover. The three-inch gel-infused foam draws away body heat to keep you from overheating while the 100 percent cotton adds a natural and breathable layer to the top. The quilted layer is also filled with 11-ounces of polyester fiberfill per square yard. Together, these materials create a bed that can help hot sleepers be more comfortable.
In addition to the supportive features of the foam and the sleep-cool elements, the cotton topper has an attached 15-inch skirt that fits around any mattress up to 20 inches deep to help keep everything secure and in place. It’s also hypoallergenic and can be washed in the machine.
- Buyers love how this topper keeps them sleeping comfortably without overheating.
- The reviewers who were not happy with this mattress topper did not find that it relieved their issues with being too hot while they sleep.
For a more basic style that still has all the comfort and breathability that will keep you sleeping comfortably, this Pillowtop Mattress Pad is a very popular choice. No matter what type of mattress you have, the pillowtop pad’s construction will improve it. It is the same type of pad that the Marriott Hotels have used and it features a Polysoft cover and special cluster of polyester fiber. Each mattress pad contains 25 ounces per square yard of Revoloft, which is an innovative fiberfill material that feels like real goose and duck down without the allergy-inducing feathers.
This mattress pad offers protection against allergens as well as dust mites and bacteria. It has a fitted skirt that will go around mattresses as deep as 18 inches. It is also certified safe according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission 16 CFR Part 1632 without the use of flame retardant chemicals.
- Buyers love the comfort of the pad and how comfortable it stays thanks to the lofty, breathable materials.
- Some reviewers noted that the pad shrunk in the wash and others did not find that they slept comfortably cool on this pad.
Whichever type you choose, these types of mattress toppers and pads can help you sleep more comfortably. While they do not generate cool, they do keep you comfortable by drawing away body heat or dissipating it through the cover and fiberfill. For many hot sleepers, a good mattress topper or pad can be the difference between misery and a good night’s sleep.
The post Stay Comfortable Every Night With the Best Cooling Mattress Toppers appeared first on Home Decorating Trends – Homedit.